lichess.org
Donate

Good openings for 1800+ ?

Hello. Recently when I played some blitz games, I realized that my openings are just destroyed by my opponents, even my dearie Modern Scandi doesn't work anymore because there are some opponents in the right who follow my well studied line but crush me in My Own prep, and on the left people who just play things out of theory, just irregular moves which look very smart.

I'm thinking about changing my opening replies for Black to something more quiet but still very aggressive and unusual in a higher level. I was choosing among the Alekhine or Pirc to get this wild spirit in the game. I just want one thing: to blow up the board and wreak havoc.

What could be an excellent opening and aggressive but not that much with 1.e4, and some good defensive responses to 1.e4 and 1.d4 to play for 1800+?
<Comment deleted by user>
Learn the Catalan with White

With Black try the Grunfeld Defense & the Sicilian Dragon

Those fulfill your taste for some aggressive play!

Having said that, I like to say every opening is good, if you stick with the principles of chess..
Any opening that you feel comfortable playing. I know this is quite vague, but you should find an opening you enjoy playing. One that doesn't give up early material is preferred.

Personally, I play the bishops opening for white, and the portuguese gambit against e4, and the kings indian against d4, c4. Just fine something that suits you and study it.
maybe the Sicilian Defence, King's Pawn Game, French Defense, Indian Defense, Queen's Pawn Game and the Horwitz Defense, which is the top 3 openings of masters level which black goes e4 and d4 and what move, in the lichess masters database.
@pbkishore said in #5:
> Learn the Catalan with White
>
> With Black try the Grunfeld Defense & the Sicilian Dragon
>
> Those fulfill your taste for some aggressive play!
>
> Having said that, I like to say every opening is good, if you stick with the principles of chess..

It is the Grünfeld Defense not the Grunfeld Defence lol!
Of course if you are frustrated with your results in the Scandi right now it is natural to start with something else, and probably that experience will give you a broader outlook on chess (familiarize you with new position types). One shouldn't discourage that, and every developing player does it.

But of course it's also worth saying that there is nothing wrong with the Scandi at your (or any) rating level, and it seems quite suited to your enterprising style.

There's always the option to vary within your repertoire rather than chosing new openings.

I see that you play the Scandinavian with Nf6, and on d4, you play Nxd5. Why not go for Bg4 instead, the Portuguese attack, which is deadly and fun? A bit of concrete preparation in those sharp lines will win you plenty of points.

Likewise, on c4, you play c6, but of course, there's also e6, the Icelandic gambit, which likewise leads to straightforward, satisfying attacks.

There are nice Youtube videos on these lines by Miodrag Perunovic, and also the book by David Smerdon.

I doubt that the Alekhine or the Pirc can set the board on fire that easily. Particularly, concrete preparation doesn't pay off that well in these openings at the 1800 level, since the knowledge you acquire will be largely about how to survive the opening with a playable position, not about how to blast through.

As for playing against d4, you seem to play Englund Gambit. Maybe the Albin or the Chigorin Defense would also be worth a look.

But in general, I'd also doubt the premise that other 1800 players (or stronger players, for that matter) know that much theory, and that you're losing games by being outprepared. Chess players are always paranoid about their openings, but it's usually all in their head.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.