lichess.org
Donate

Good openings for 1800+ ?

@WassimBerbar said in #1:
> Hello. Recently when I played some blitz games, I realized that my openings are just destroyed by my opponents, even my dearie Modern Scandi doesn't work anymore because there are some opponents in the right who follow my well studied line but crush me in My Own prep, and on the left people who just play things out of theory, just irregular moves which look very smart.
>
> I'm thinking about changing my opening replies for Black to something more quiet but still very aggressive and unusual in a higher level. I was choosing among the Alekhine or Pirc to get this wild spirit in the game. I just want one thing: to blow up the board and wreak havoc.
>
> What could be an excellent opening and aggressive but not that much with 1.e4, and some good defensive responses to 1.e4 and 1.d4 to play for 1800+?
secondly why do you play blitz? You gotta play rapid and classical to improve ur chess
How about the A10 English Opening: Anglo-Scandinavian Defense?
FEN: rnbqkbnr/ppp1pppp/8/3p4/2P5/8/PP1PPPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 2
Mabye the B00 Duras Gambit and A43 Benoni Defense: Old Benoni will help for black to. When I play it, it is amazing to see the what-in-the-world-move-are-you-playing silly expression in there face.

B00 Duras Gambit FEN : rnbqkbnr/ppppp1pp/8/5p2/4P3/8/PPPP1PPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 2

A43 Benoni Defense: Old Benoni FEN : rnbqkbnr/pp1ppppp/8/2p5/3P4/8/PPP1PPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 2
@ultimatechesslover said in #12:
> secondly why do you play blitz? You gotta play rapid and classical to improve ur chess

But yea. In blitz games you make a move with no thinking because the time in rapid and classical games you have more time so you can think befor making a move.
@OpenTest said in #10:
> Of course if you are frustrated with your results in the Scandi right now it is natural to start with something else, and probably that experience will give you a broader outlook on chess (familiarize you with new position types). One shouldn't discourage that, and every developing player does it.
>
> But of course it's also worth saying that there is nothing wrong with the Scandi at your (or any) rating level, and it seems quite suited to your enterprising style.
>
> There's always the option to vary within your repertoire rather than chosing new openings.

Some good advice here. I was listening to a podcast the other day and the host, who's a NM and a coach, was talking about the fact that he quite often sees students who level up a bit and then think they need new openings because some of their current ones aren't working for them any more. His point was that a lot of the time what's actually happening is that the opening is objectively fine but they're starting to come up against better players who are better at playing the resulting positions so the stuff that used to work doesn't work so easily, and that maybe his students would do better to try to understand their current openings more deeply rather than trying to pick up new ones from scratch.

That said, the Englund Gambit is probably still pushing it.
960? anyone? or play correspondance, opening is just one phase of a whole chess game. unless one considers that opening "theory" is chess theory? I wonder how many people could tell apart a middle game (post castle, let's say) from standard or any other 960 initial position. Or reduced to standard, tell apart middle game positions by its initial first moves.... how far would that ability go?
I think you are overreacting to something we've all gone through from time to time. If you're getting blown out time and again, your openings are probably not really what's the problem. ;)

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.