lichess.org
Donate

Atomic960-Tournament Feedback

Hey you all,

since the first Atomic960-Tournament just ended and the next is coming soon, there should be a chance to get some feedback in. Feel free to post anything that might have been not so good in the last tournament and what rules you think should be changed. Also there is the question if chessvariants.training is the right platform for the format or if vchess.club is a better site to play on (there are different positives on both sites), so feel free to check vchess and give feedback on this question also :)

Hopefully you all had fun!
No complaints on the format. Some suggestions for next time are 1) Keep color sequence throughout the whole match 2) More games at faster time controls. I feel 960 is largely about finding a rhythm and it's easier to establish that with more games/more spontaneous play Maybe something like 2 0 or 1 2. Of course arena is heavily preferable to other formats for regular tournament play but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it I guess..

P.S. I failed the first chess CAPTCHA lol
Great tournament, thank you! In many games, time worked against the players. For example, in the first game of the final, I didn't go to B5 at first (I rushed it) , and then Onubense didn't make an easy win. Also in the third game in a very interesting position, time ran out and the lottery started. I want to see more games/time on them in the final. I understand that this delays the match, but the games will have fewer mistakes and more fun ideas.
I really enjoyed the tournament, thanks to the organization!

For me it would be an improvement if it would become a double elimination. I want to play more games :)

Also, wouldnt it be nice to be able to play atomic960 here on lichess, or is that complicated to realize?
Hey I know this is late but I thought it was a really great idea! I hope we stick with alternating who starts as white at the mid-way point to keep it fair. Obviously it makes it a little more complicated, but i think it's a good idea. As for time control, I'm a faster player myself, but I liked 3+2 and would be happy with whatever you decide on.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.